Industry News – The Revival of Alpina
In February 2002, Frédérique Constant Genève purchased Alpina Watch International. Frédérique Constant produced until now mainly classical-looking mechanical watches, and will develop a new sports collection under the name Alpina, perpetuating the Alpina heritage.
The new Alpina collection of technical sport watches is composed of 25 mechanical models featuring ETA and Valjoux calibers.
Alpina was founded in 1883 by Gottlieb Hauser, a noted watchmaker in Winterthur, who founded the Swiss Watchmakers Corporation (“Corporation d’Horlogers Suisse”).
A number of watchmakers joined to purchase watch components and organized their manufacturing. Quickly, the new concept gained acceptance. Together with qualified manufactures, the Association started to develop its own calibers and to enlarge its distribution network. Ebauches (the base of a caliber) were produced by the Alpina Ebauche Factory in Geneva, owned by Duret & Colonnaz, which played also an important role in the construction of the first Alpina calibers.
Final steps in the manufacture of the calibers were performed in Bienne. Success was swift and representations were set up in Germany as well as in East and Northern Europe. In 1901, the name “Alpina” was registered as a trademark at the same time; it would only appear on the dials of high-end watches. From the beginning, Alpina watches were manufactured with high quality components, amongst others Breguet spirals, balance wheels with gold screws and heavy gold cases.
Here is the current collection: